Friday, August 3, 2012

You mean not every health issue I have is related to MS?

When I start to feel "not right", I automatically assume that I am experiencing a relapse or an exacerbation of existing symptoms.  But guess what?  Sometimes I have the flu or a cold or low blood sugar, or high blood pressure.  Or better yet, (and the one I like the least) is I am just aging!?  

The truth is that people with MS have just as much likelihood of catching the same bugs that everyone else does.  They also have the same odds of having coronary artery disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. as the general population.  

So what does that mean?  It means that MS is not responsible for everything that goes wrong with your health!  Here is what you need to do: 
  • If you have a new symptom, no matter what it may be, let your doctor know.  
  • Maintain a good relationship with not only your neurologist, but also your General Practitioner.  Visit them when you are well so they have a baseline for your overall health.  
  • Get yearly health screenings just like you should, including physicals and blood work.  
  • If you are a woman don't forget (or avoid) your annual well woman exam.  

Keeping a handle on your overall general health will be beneficial in your maintenance of your Multiple Sclerosis as well.

2 comments:

  1. :-)

    I used to blame the MS every time something odd/weird started happening to me, LOL...but u're so right, it could be something else very easily. One time i DIDN'T blame the MS, i thought that it was normal and guess what - it sure was the MS. LOL- can't win for losing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem to be the way it is with MS doesn't it? - always keeps you guessing! :)

      Delete